Motoring News - MAL 2020

Market Autos Limited
Go to content

Brexit driving you mad?

MAL 2020
Published by in Motoring · 16 March 2019
Tags: Europedrivingabroad
Those of you who are old enough will recall that if you took your car on holiday to the continent, you might have had to apply for an International Driving Licence.  As I recall, they lasted for about a year, you obtained one via the Post Office and it cost a few pence.  Then we joined the European Economic Area (known as the Common Market) which evolved into what we now know as the EU.  An effect of that was to render all driving licences across Europe valid anywhere in Europe.

Now that we may be leaving the EU, it is right to wonder if our UK driving licences will still be valid in Europe.  The answer is, probably not.  We may have to have what is called an International Driving Permit (International Driving Licence by another name), and the advice is to apply for one now if you have any intention of doing a booze cruise after 29th March this year.  It might not be necessary during a transition period, but better safe than sorry.

How do you get one?  You have to apply in person, and only 2,500 Post Offices can handle the paperwork, so check if yours can.  You will need:
  • Your current UK driving licence
  • A passport photo for each licence you require
  • Means of paying for each licence
  • Official ID (such as your passport)

A licence costs £5.50, but there are three to choose from:
  • 1968 International Driving Permit  Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland
  • 1949 International Driving Permit  Cyprus, Iceland, Malta, Spain
  • 1926 International Driving Permit  Liechtenstein

(C) Market Autos Ltd; Registered in England 11427671; Registered Office Mortimer Hill, Tring, HP23 5EE; VAT No 3011339457
Back to content